Saturday, May 2, 2009

Food Ways At Home, Food Ways Of Mainstream Americans

Now at home, I grew up with my mother eating homeade food most of the time. Rarely did we eat out from other places. I hated this because I saw my friends eating McDonalds and American-Chinese food for dinner and I was jealous. As my siblings and I got older however she changed our diets to mostly eating out. When we had homecooked meals I was extremely grateful because I hated eating out all the time. Now that I live with my father and stepmother, I noticed we eat out most of the time as well. At the beginning, I didn't mind it as much as I normally would have but then I started gaining weight and it became a big problem. Now I would rather eat homeade food again but no one in my house except my father whose working all the time likes to cook so we settle for takeout.

Many mainstream Americans probably eat like this as well. They eat homemade food occasionally and then takeout the rest of the time. It has become normal to see restaurants and fast food places packed at dinner time because so many people don't want to cook. Even I have grown accustomed to eating out even if I don't really like it.

At home even the takeout we usually eat together. We sit together and talk about our days or what needs to be done the rest of the week. We rarely watch tv while dinner is going on and we are not allowed to use our phones at the table. We must sit up with our legs on the floor. I think our meal is this strict because my father is in the restaurant business and expects us to have really good manners (which we do).

Most Americans may watch tv while they eat but this I don't know for sure. Most of the people I know eat at a table not watching television and with strict rules at the table like me. Then again, Americans have become so dependent on technology that if their "favorite show" is on I'm sure they go watch it.

My food ways are similar yet not similar to mainstream Americans.

No comments: